Whiteheads, also known as closed comedowns, are enlarged hair follicles clogged with skin oils, bacteria and cells. Whiteheads develop when the pores on the skin get clogged with dirt, sebum and dead skin cells. Whiteheads may also develop because of several other reasons but the good thing is that they can be treated. There are some home remedies that you can try to get rid of pesky whiteheads.
Causes of Whiteheads
Along with blocked pores, there are many other reasons why you may have whiteheads. Mentioned below are some of the reasons that may lead to the development of whiteheads:
- Too much sebum production
- Taking birth control pills
- Eating greasy food
- Hormonal changes that take place during puberty, menstruation and pregnancy
- Living in an extremely humid environment
Home Remedies for Whiteheads
Home remedies are perhaps the easiest and the most affordable way to get rid of whiteheads. Here are a few natural remedies for whiteheads that will help treat and prevent whiteheads:
Honey is known for its antibacterial properties and it can help clear pores. If you have whiteheads on nose, you can easily get rid of them with honey.
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Heat the honey for about 15 minutes or until it is slightly warm.
- Wash your face then apply warm honey on your face.
- Leave it on your face for about 15 minutes then rinse off with cold water.
- You can try this remedy daily.
2: Sugar Scrub
Sugar is an exfoliating agent and can help get rid of the dirt settled in the pores without drying out your skin. However, sugar scrub should be used gently as it may harm your skin.
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Honey– 1 tbsp
- Mix the two ingredients together and use it to exfoliate your skin.
- Leave it on your face for about five minutes then rinse off.
- Use this scrub at least once or twice a week.
3: Rose Water
With the ability to cleanse the pores and balance the pH levels of the skin, rose water is a must-have product in your skincare routine. It can also help soothe the skin.
- Rose water – 1 tbsp
- A cotton pad or a spray bottle
- Take some rose water on a cotton pad and use it on the affected areas.
- Alternatively, you can use a spray bottle and spray the rose water on the affected area.
- Try this remedy twice a day.
Cinnamon helps in the production of collagen which helps facilitate regeneration of the skin. The antimicrobial properties of cinnamon help reduce whiteheads and can help treat acne.
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Oat flour – 1 tsp
- Mix the ingredients to form a thick paste.
- Apply on face and leave for about fifteen minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Try this remedy three times a week.
5: Gram flour
Gram flour is often used for the face as it helps cleanse the skin and acts as a good exfoliate.
- Gram flour – 2 tsp
- Yogurt – 2 tsp
- Mix the two ingredients together to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and allow it to dry for about five minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Try this remedy thrice a week.
6: Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has anti-microbial properties. Which help reduce the levels of acne-causing bacteria on the skin. It can also help fight whiteheads.
- Tea tree oil – 4 drops
- Wet a cotton pad with water.
- Pour some tree tea oil on it and apply it on the affected areas.
- Later rinse.
Turmeric has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It helps prevent whiteheads from getting inflamed and turning into acne.
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Neem powder – 1 tsp
- Mix the three ingredients together to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on your face or on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes then rinse with cold water.
Applying oatmeal can help open up pores by absorbing the oil and acting as a gentle exfoliant.
- Powdered oatmeal – 1 tbsp
- Take the oatmeal in a bowl and add the water and mix it well to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and leave it on for about 10 minutes.
- Wet your fingers and remove the mask gently, rubbing in circular motions.
- Do this twice a week.
9: Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is known to have the ability to open the pores as it is an astringent.
- Witch hazel astringent – 2-3 drops
- A cotton pad
- Take some witch hazel astringent on a cotton pad and apply it on the affected area.
- Try this remedy twice a day.
To get rid of whiteheads, you can also try facial steaming. Steaming is one of the most effective methods of cleansing the pores since it can open them up and loosen the dirt and oil stuck inside.
- A towel
- Bring water to a boil in a container.
- Position your face over the container and cover it with a towel to trap the steam inside.
- Allow your skin to soak in the steam for around five minutes.
- Do this three times in one sitting.
- Do this twice a week until you see results, then it should be done only once a week.